Overweight people in the world - definitions, sources and methods
Overweight definition: overweight is a person with a body mass index (BMI) over 25 kg/m2.
BMI is defined as the weight in kilograms divided by the square of the height in metres (kg/m2)
The data on obesity displayed on the Worldometers' counter is based on the latest statistics published by the World Health Organization (WHO).
Globally, there are more than 1 billion overweight adults, and the number is growing.
Spending on weight-loss programs and products in the USA
According to the U. S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Americans spent an estimated $30 billion a year in 1992 on all types of diet programs and products, including diet foods and drinks.
Marketdata, a market research firm that has tracked diet products and programs since 1989 releases its findings in its biennial study: "The U.S. Weight Loss & Diet Control Market." which in its 2007 study estimates the size of the U.S. weight loss market at $55 billion. It is now estimated to have reached over $60 Billion.
References and useful links
- Obesity and Overweight (WHO) - Facts and statistics by the World Health Organization
- U.S. Weight Loss Market Worth $46.3 Billion in 2004 — Forecast to Reach $61 Billion by 2008
- Marketdata Enterprises - publishes "The U.S. Weight Loss & Diet Control Market" - The study presents dollar value & growth rates of 10 major weight loss market segments (early 1980s to 2006, trends, developments, current status reports/estimates, 2010 forecasts) for: diet soft drinks, artificial sweeteners, health clubs, commercial diet left chains, mail order and multi-level marketing diet plans, diet books and exercise videos, children’s weight loss camps and adult residential facilities, medically supervised programs (weight loss surgery, MDs, RDs, and nutritionist-based diet plans, hospitals/clinic programs, Rx diet drugs, bariatricians), retail meal replacements and diet pills, low-calorie dinner entrees & low-carb foods.
- Meizitang Australia
- Personal trainer in the UK
- Medifast coupons
- The Facts About Weight Loss Products and Programs - Presented as a Public Service in 1992 by the US Federal Trade Commission, Food and Drug Administration, and National Association of Attorneys General.